We understand that living with Pelvic Radiation Disease (PRD) can affect people’s everyday life, like getting out and about, which is why we’ve created our ‘Out and About’ toolkit filled with useful information, tips and items to help people with PRD have more confidence when leaving the house.
- Fact sheets – Helpful tips, tools, information for PRDA services and other organisations.
- Toilet card – A handy card to help gain urgent access to a toilet when out in public without the need to explain your condition. The ‘just can’t wait’ card is widely recognised and many establishments and businesses may allow you to use toilets that are not typically for public use, where public toilets are not available, though this is at their discretion and is sometimes not possible due to security reasons (such as banks).
- Hidden Disabilities Sunflower lanyard – What is a Hidden disability? A hidden disability may not be immediately obvious to others and have no physical signs. This includes chronic conditions like Pelvic Radiation Disease which can have a significant impact on day-to-day life. The sunflower lanyard is a globally recognised symbol and discreetly informs people that you have a hidden disability which may mean that you require some assistance, help, or a little more time. Please note it is NOT a pass to be fast-tracked nor for any other benefit.
- RADAR key – A special key which is used to unlock over 10,000 accessible toilets in the UK that are part of the National Key Scheme.
- Wype – An eco-friendly toilet wipe alternative with natural ingredients that you can apply to regular toilet paper. Wype is flushable & biodegradable.
- Hand sanitiser
- An eco-friendly bag – A handy Out and About bag to keep essentials in. A bio-based alternative to plastic made from fermented plant starch and is carbon neutral.
The Out and About toolkit has been specifically designed for people living with Pelvic Radiation disease we ask that you only apply for one if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You have received radiotherapy to the pelvis
- Your radiotherapy treatment was at least 3 months ago
- You have bowel or bladder consequences that impact your daily life
Please note that you do not need to have received an ‘official’ diagnosis of PRD to apply. We are only able to send Out and About Toolkit to people living in the UK.
The cost of our Out and About Toolkits have been made possible thanks to the generous donations of our supporters. To continue to offer the pack in the long-term we need your help. Each pack costs £22 to produce, pack and post. If you are able to, you can make a donation to help provide this service to people living with PRD.
Modified: 19th April 2022